My Philosophy teacher has been showing a documentary called "The Marketing of Cool". It has shown in graphic detail (In some places too graphic) how corporations like Viacom have manipulated the teen culture as to sell to teens what they are offering. In this process, they change the thoughts and motivations of the masses of young people. It looks like they are trying to stay just enough in front of the culture as to steer it in their desired direction. That direction demoralizes this generation into sex crazed stupid idiots.
From the corporations stand point, this seems like a self destructive path. How much lower can they lead everyone? Do all the clothes have to come off? Do these acts have to lead to certain death? Obviously Viacom needs living people to advertise to. I guess the question would be how long can this culture remain as it is? How long will this "cool" remain cool. I don't want to imagine what is coming next. It may take some serious events to take place to change this culture. What if you take the billions away from the kids? Then you take away the advertising. Take away the advertising and you have a chance to change the culture for good. For true change to take place it must start in the hearts of the people.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I agree that teenagers, and people in general are very swayed by corporations and there advertising. So many people these days are practically told what to wear, what to buy, and even what to drink (sprite!). I am glad to say that I am not one of those who is easily pushed one way or another. I like being an individual and just being "me" rather than what some corporation is trying to make me be.
BTW, I'm so glad you put this blog together. I look forward to some awesome blogging!! =0)
Oh, here I go again. There are 5 international corporations that control all media of every kind. They use an unethical method of psychology (behaviorism; i.e., Pavlov's dogs) to market to all of us. The right brain takes it all in, and then causes us to buy something we absolutely don't want or act in a way that is absolutely inappropriate in our thinking. So, be very careful about assuming that you are safe from these folks! (Satan in every aspect of commerce.)
Post a Comment