I ran into an old friend after church today. We got to talking and ended up doing something we used to always do, work on cars. Even though we have not been in close contact for several years, it was like we didn't miss a beat. I shared with him some of the things going on with me and he opened up some of his areas of life as well.
It was fitting that today's message was about being authentic. We need to be open enough to be vulnerable with each other. None of us are perfect so why do we act as if we are. What value are relationships that are an inch deep? Are friends like those around at your side when you have landed face first in the dirt? A true friend should be able to smack the stupid idea from your mind before you get yourself killed. They should be there to tell you to your face to stop dating that girl and you listen because you know they are looking out for your best interest.
I enjoyed being authentic with my old friend today. We opened up to each other just like as we had done before. I asked him what was really going on and he told me. What a great day it was today. What is a better way to pass the time fixing the brakes on the car then with an old real friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I guess I can't stand seeing a "0 comments" message. My question here is related to others: How can I be authentic with another person unless I am authentic with myself, which requires ongoing honest self-examination--something most of us don't want to do?
Post a Comment