Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Value of being Genuine

If someone is doing something for you, do you care if they actually want to do it? Do you prefer not to know this as long as the face on the other side is smiling? Does it matter if you don't know the person well or at all?

I like to know that the other person I am dealing with in genuine. In most cases I would rather a person do nothing for me then do it begrudgingly. I find that I value this trait over the things I want. If I ask a co-worker for help on a project and his attitude shows he doesn't want to help, I will most likely tell them never mind and try to figure it out myself. On the flip side of that, I love when a co-worker is happy to help me out. I think I can take this too far especially if I need the help and cannot complete the job without the added assistance.

Knowing that strangers are genuine is much less valuable to me then knowing that my friends and family are genuine. I know that a used car salesman can seem extremely genuine but that doesn't mean he is looking out for my best interest. I know that he is going to try to get as much money from me as he can. When it comes to family and friends, I value knowing that they do look out for my best interest. I am not the kind of person that is going to have tons of friendships that are only an inch deep. I insist that my friendships are deep. There is no other way to have friends in my opinion.
Proverbs 18:24 A man of too many friends comes to ruin, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.

There is something to be said about making an inner choice to do something when you don't want to. If it is against what you want or feel like doing it is much harder to do. Choosing within yourself to do something when you do not feel like doing it can have great value. By simply doing that same action outwardly only with no inner choice is much cheaper. The inner choice requires self-sacrifice where the outer choice requires maybe only a few minutes of time. This inner action makes what you do genuine.

Being genuine can greatly improve relationships. It is only when we drop are masks and start being real with each other will our relationships improve. This is why I value genuine friendships.


1 comment:

larryfan106 said...

I couldn't agree with you more Troy. Im also one who values a genuine action and not a shallow shell of ineffection. An interesting thought:

What you described as "doing something even if it's the last thing you want to do" truly reflects self-sacrifice. Especially when it is done for the well-being of another person. It is truly an action of Love. 'No greater love has one man for another, than to lay down his own life.' That includes self-will, personnal feelings, and personnal emotions. Interesting.

Here's another interesting thought: Genuiuneness is a manifestation of one putting away self. WOW. Have a great evening bud.

Luke