I was challenged by my philosophy teacher this week. She gave a challenge to everyone in class which was to take some time each day and reflect on yourself. She gave this challenge on the day of Lent. I am not Catholic so I was not sure what it was. My teacher explained to the class what lent is and how it is practiced today. She told us that it is the start of a 40 day or six week period before Easter when Jesus died on the cross. Catholics use this time to give up sweets and other indulgences. This is supposed to be a time of self-reflection as they look at their lives. My teacher on the other hand tied the time period into how Socrates always reflected on himself to be sure he was living his life in the right was. He said that the unexamined life is not worth living. My teacher said that even if we were not Catholic, we could use this time to reflect on ourself as well. Her suggestion was not to give something up but to add self-reflection. She provided a bonus to us who would do this. The bonus was if we take these 6 weeks and reflect on ourselves and write an essay on our experience then she would give us extra credit.
This is why this blog exists. I will be using this blog to post my reflections on a daily basis. I may miss a day from time to time as life is quite busy. I will then use this blog to write my essay for extra credit. I don't mind if anyone else reads my posts as they might provoke them to study and think about the things I talk about.
Whoever wants to join me can post replies. If you want to challenge me then that is ok too. I love challenges. A challenge is why I started this blog in the first place. Thanks for reading
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment