I have had much to think about lately. My wife tells me that I am good at thinking but sometimes I think too much. She may be right but that wont stop me from thinking. I just need to focus in on the important things while at the same time try to stay zoomed out enough to see the bigger picture. So let see, what are some of the trees and then we will look at the forest.
Trees:
- My relationship with Jesus Christ the Lord
- My wife and I, approaching our first anniversary, as we grow together
- Our lease in our apartment is almost up
- Her high mileage car and my ready-to-break-down car
- My job's future and where we want to be
- The city life vs the country life
- What direction to go in school
- My energy projects
- All our bills are paid
- We live in a nice place
- I have a steady job
- I have good relationships with my family and friends
Now on to that word, self-reflection. I perceive this to mean looking at yourself like looking in the mirror. When looking in the mirror, you see your own image. You see what others see like your eyes, hair and smile. Things like these seem to be in the metaphysical world your personality, world view, and your soul. Self-reflection as Socrates taught it was thoroughly examining your actions and seeing if they were good.
I believe this to be a start of me looking at what is self-reflection. I also need to know how it applies to me so that I can be sure I have done it properly.
Thanks for reading.
3 comments:
So....Mr. Troyithicus....your evaluations in your life seem more like challenges. Challenges that consist of pros, cons, and neutrals. Is this correct? It is definetly good to look at the forest in your life and your own self-reflections. Another positive reflection would be on how the Lord see's you. Many-a-time one-self will evaluate themselves acording to the worldviews dictated to them through life. Emotional highs and lows can alter ones reflection of self very quickly. I would be curious how Socrates would get a true evaluation of himself without the presence of emotions or feelings hindering things?
P.S. If a tree falls over in a
self-reflective forest, does
it make a noise? LOL.
Thanks Luke. I am just getting started so it may not look like reflection in the beginning. Bear with me and Ill get into my reflection.
Socrates would objectively evaluate his emotions and feelings. At the end of each day he would ask himself if his angry outburst was appropriate. He said our greatest enemy is self-deception (Satan as me). He also addressed the question of "worldviews dictated to them" when he said he sought truth and found people with only opinions (the lowest form of knowledge) and mostly with opinions passed on to him by others. Socrates' self-reflection was deep, objective and a sincere search for the truth about himself. Christians would be thinking about themselves in terms of whether or not they are following the word of the Lord; i.e., compassion.
I think it is entirely possible to keep emotions and feelings from hindering you. But the process is self-examination. I think the role of the Lord in that process is in your praying that He will help you be honest with yourself.
Post a Comment